A-1 ENGINEERING, LLC                      

Structural + Civil Engineering Consultants                    Serving San Antonio and Austin

Welcome to A-1 Engineering, FHA HUD Foundation Engineers

We are FHA HUD Foundation Structural Engineers providing a vast array of FHA HUD Foundation Structural Engineering Services. Please visit our Structural Engineer San Antonio page or Structural Engineer Austin for a list of some additional common engineering services that we provide.

Our FHA HUD Foundation structural Engineering services most commonly include:

  • FHA Foundation certification
  • FHA Foundation Inspection, investigation, and report
  • FHA Foundation Retrofit
  • FHA New Foundation Design and Inspection
  • Manufactured Home Foundation Design
  • Manufactured Home Structural Inspection

Below is in article written by our staff to better explain some basics of FHA foundation engineering certification. Enjoy! And please, ask us questions if you have any. Contact us.

FHA Foundation Certification

Using the Terminology “FHA Foundation” is a misnomer. Foundations for Manufactured Homes can be structurally designed to any code. However, if you want to get a loan that is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or by the US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), then the foundation needs to meet the US Department of Housing and Urban development (HUD). So, whenever you’re getting a FHA Loan, what you need is a HUD Foundation Certification because there’s no such thing as a FHA Foundation certification. In fact, most engineers do not call it a certification, and the words certification and FHA are usually not shown in the report letter for the inspection of the foundation.

Table of Contents

Permanent Foundation

The number one issue with getting a loan for a Home is that the bank or whoever is giving the loan wants to make sure that this home will stay there without having the fear of “someone” stealing the home.  

Therefore, the whole premise behind getting an FHA Loan is that the Manufactured Home needs to be resting and positively anchored to a foundation in such a way that the manufactured home cannot be taken away from its current location. Such a foundation is known as a permanent foundation.

Inspection of an Existing Manufactured home Foundation

Usually the Certification letter from the Structural Engineer is the last thing needed in the puzzle to get a FH Loan approval. The Structural Engineer visits the site where the manufactured home is located and, with approval of the current owner, inspect the existing foundation.

The inspection is visual, where the Structural Engineer inspects the foundation by looking through the access panel in the crawl space below the manufactured home and sees the type of foundation system used. An experienced Engineer can look at a manufactured Home Foundation and determine right there on the spot whether the foundation meets FHA.

Foundation Meeting HUD FHA

In order to meet the requirements set forth by HUD, a manufactured home needs to be considered as a permanent foundation in order to receive an FHA loan. HUD, under the office of Policy Development and Research, publishes the “Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing”, which is a guide explaining the different methods or construction types allowed for a Manufactured Home Foundation.

Regardless of whether you have a foundation designed by the structural engineer meeting the HUD guide or a foundation that meets the prescriptive method of the guide, either way, in order for the FHA Loan to be approved the foundation needs to be approved and inspected by a licensed professional engineer in the state where the manufactured home foundation is located.

Selecting the right Structural Engineer

All Engineers are not created equal. There are many branches of Engineering, and Structural Engineering is one of them. Although the FHA foundation requires a letter from a licensed engineer, you should be careful in not hiring the wrong kind of engineer, more specifically, the right engineer to hire is always a Structural Engineer. Too many Engineering companies provide all sorts of engineering services, including services they are not qualified to provide.

According to the HUD Guide (and the State of Texas) Only structural Engineers are qualified to design, inspect, investigate and write a FHA approved foundation letter. How do you find out if an Engineer is a licensed engineer in Structural Engineering? In Texas, you can look them up in the Texas Board of Professional Engineers. Just get the Engineer name and look them up here to see what branch of Engineering they are licensed to Practice in.

And for more on where do you need a Structural Engineer in San Antonio, just click  Structural Engineer San Antonio or Structural Engineer Austin

We hope this article was very helpful to you, and if you have any more questions or need help on your next project in San Antonio, Austin, or across Texas (including New Braunfels, Boerne, Poteet, San Marcos, etc,) please do not hesitate to contact us.